Sunday's Gospel: 32nd week; Ordinary Time; Year B  

Posted by Heisan

The Gospel according to St. Mark 12:38-44

"As he was teaching, he also said to them, "Beware of those teachers of the Law who enjoy walking around in long robes and being greeted in the marketplace, and who like to occupy reserved seats in the synagogues and the first places at feasts. They even devour the widow's and orphan's goods while making a show of long prayers. How severe a sentence they will receive!"
Jesus sat down opposite the Temple tresury box; and many rich people put in large offerings. But a poor widow also come and dropped in two small coins.
Then Jesus called his disciples and said to them, "Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all those who gave offerings. For all ot them gave from their plenty, but she gave from her poverty and put in everything she had, her very living."
Here I see why God called the poor before anybody else, because only the poor give all they have to live on. I am not saying that the rich aren't being called by God? We are all invited by God to walk with Him everyday of our lives but the challenge for us today is that can we be like the widow in the Gospel who are willing to give everything we have to God. Here God speaks to me about being humble in everything, to be able to share what I have not what the excess like the rich people who give what is in excess of their wealth. Here God speaks to me that humility is truly the guardian of all virtues. This widow is the very personification of every Catholic like me in everyway. Humility means obedience to the Church and its teachings despite the many frailties she has knowing that the Church is not "my church" where I can accomodate what I want only but formost it is Christ Church built by Him upon Peter.


This entry was posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 at Saturday, November 11, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment